Ajit Pai, the former Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission joins Noah and Steve to discuss regulation at the federal level and how we best frame our laws to promote innovation and the freedom of the internet.
-- During The Show --
00:58 Noah Helps Son's Friend
- Buys bits at a time
- Went Linux vs $200 Windows
- Walked him through all the steps
- Made a recovery script
03:20 Glenn From The Geek Lab
- Switched away from Mail in a Box
- Went to Mailcow
- Your experience with blacklists?
04:48 Penguin From The Geek Lab
- Bunny CDN?
- Open Source going strong
- Open source friendly options
- Why you may need a CDN
06:27 Mobile Operating Systems
- Many devices still need android drivers
- Sailfish OS
- Incremental improvements still being made
- Divides purchasing and selling
- Manage Suppliers
- BOM Management
08:58 News Wire
GNU C Library 2.39 - Source Ware
Helium OS Public Alpha - Helium OS
OnlyOffice - Only Office
LibreOffice 24.2 - Document Foundation
Scribus 1.6 - Scribus
Mesa 24.0 - Freedesktop.org
Ubuntu 24.04 & Linux 6.8 - OMG Ubuntu
KaOS Linux 2024.01 - 9 to 5 Linux
Nitrux 3.3 - NXOS
SUDO on Windows Server - Bleeping Computer
PKL Programing Language - Tech Radar
Glibc Flaw - The Hacker News
GNU C v2.39 - Source Ware
AI2 Full Open Source LLM - Axios.com
Protect AI Integrates LLM Guard - csoonline.com
Hugging Face AI Assistant Maker - Venture Beat
Mistral CEO Confirms Leak - Venture Beat
10:50 Ajit Pai Interview
- What was your big picture of the FCC when you were appointed?
- Why advocate for less regulations and what were the results?
- Where does the line fall between FCC and elected officials?
- Does regulation stifle innovation?
- What are you views on net neutrality?
- Where is the line between giving authority to state and local government vs the FCC?
- Internet/last mile providers and internet backbone
- ICS in prisons
- Is there any reason why internet couldn't facilitate low cost communications in prisons?
- Can you see a time where the federal government puts in internet infrastructure?
- AI and robo calls and texts
- What can you speculate about the FCC and frameworks for licensing space stations engaged in in-space servicing, assembly, and manufacturing (ISAM)
- Where do you see the future of ham radio?
- NY Times
- Ars Technica
- FCC PDF
Events coming up
- Texas Linux Fest
- Linux Fest North West
-- The Extra Credit Section --
For links to the articles and material referenced in this week's episode check out this week's page from our podcast dashboard!
Join us in our dedicated chatroom #GeekLab:linuxdelta.com on Matrix
-- Stay In Touch --
Find all the resources for this show on the Ask Noah Dashboard
Need more help than a radio show can offer? Altispeed provides commercial IT services and they’re excited to offer you a great deal for listening to the Ask Noah Show. Call today and ask about the discount for listeners of the Ask Noah Show!
live [at] asknoahshow.com
-- Twitter --Support Ask Noah Show