Open Source Has Won!
August 23rd, 2022
53 mins 57 secs
About this Episode
As we celebrate Episode 300 Noah and Steve dig into the difference in industry between 2017 when ANS launched and today. The landscape has changed considerably. Today people ask about Open Source, today people value interoperability.
-- During The Show --
01:50 Listener follows up on Bluray playback - William
- It worked!
- The solution
03:30 3D Printer Recommendation - Greg
- Lulzbot Taz 6
- Open source
04:45 3D Printer Related - Joshua
09:30 FOSS Remote Software - Peter
13:10 LDAP Alternatives? - Miguel
19:40 TwoBit Asked
- Q: Is there a way to see if anyone has been accessing the Intel Management Engine on a PC?
- Not from the Host
- Look for Intel White Papers
21:25 Pick of the Week
- Sudo Snap install freeshow
- FreeShow AppImage
- Has features ProPresenter doesn't have!
- Super Impressed!
29:45 Open Source Has Won!
- Used to "sell" open source, Now it's "common"
- Now I get calls asking "Is it open source" "Does it have an API"
- Covid caused a push for cloud
- Cloud is more flexible and scale-able but more expensive
- Open source saves money
- Large companies rely on open source
- Linux is replacing UNIX
- Apache Kafka
- Open source is available to learn and try
- Companies don't like artificial road blocks
- Companies should pay for open source software
- 13 Companies added to Open Source Security Group
- Open source allows "rising tide" effect
- Open Source returns power to the individual
- Many open source programs now meet or exceed professional standards
52:00 Challenge Coin
- Write in about how you have helped open source!
- Open Source Stewards (OSS)
-- The Extra Credit Section --
For links to the articles and material referenced in this week's episode check out this week's page from our podcast dashboard!
This Episode's Podcast Dashboard
Phone Systems for Ask Noah provided by Voxtelesys
Join us in our dedicated chatroom #GeekLab:linuxdelta.com on Matrix
-- Stay In Touch --
Find all the resources for this show on the Ask Noah Dashboard
Need more help than a radio show can offer? Altispeed provides commercial IT services and they’re excited to offer you a great deal for listening to the Ask Noah Show. Call today and ask about the discount for listeners of the Ask Noah Show!
live [at] asknoahshow.com
-- Twitter --Support Ask Noah Show