In episode 274 we introduced you to block storage, in this episode we build on that to talk about storage types, and using those storage types with NAS and SAN storage.
-- During The Show --
02:11 Matrix Bridges - William
- Matrix Bridge Encryption
05:30 Core Switch for Church - Kevin
- F5 Load Balancer
- 99% of the time other brands are fine
- HP 1950 or 1920 switches
- Dell Switches Pass All VLan Traffic
11:30 Google Collecting Data from phones - Charlie
21:71 Sunjam Asks
- If my local ISP is providing us 10G fiber...where do I get the hardware to handle it residentally? Commodity does not seem to support beyond 2.5G WAN when I checked, TIP Link or Netgear Orbi routers are costing $300-$400.
- PFSense/OPNSense + 10 Gbps NIC
- Netgate 7100 1U ($1199)
23:50 JJ Asks
- There seems to be many anecdotal stories of how tech has improved health and saved people's lives. Especially with Apple Watches. Seems beneficial for those who want to have a little nudge for a healthier lifestyle. When does a product's benefits outweigh Open Source yearnings? PineTime is still a work in progress and seems a little too experimental for some.
- Pragmatism out of laziness vs out of necessity
28:53 Rusty Asks
hello, I'm looking for an android app + nextcloud app combo, that will allow me to drop pins on a map, preferably with a photo, of Points of interest. Would like to use during hiking to mark potential camp spots. I'd like to be able to share this with my wife without sending a gpx file after each trip (hence the desire to utilize my nextcloud instance). If nothing for nextcloud, I'd still be open to other suggestions. Thanks!
32:19 News Wire
Linux Mint Debian 5 released
Some 30% of Log4j instances remain vulnerable
Protestware Hurting Open Source
US Court Rules on False Advertising in Open Source
34:11 Storage Continued
- Check out ANS 274 for part one
- Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Direct Attached Storage
- Block Storage
- File Storage
- Object Storage
- Be careful of "off the shelf" NAS
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- High Performance Storage
- Typically used in data centers
- Often over dedicated network such as Fibre Channel
- LUN (logical data unit)
- More Flexible
-- The Extra Credit Section --
For links to the articles and material referenced in this week's episode check out this week's page from our podcast dashboard!
Join us in our dedicated chatroom #GeekLab:linuxdelta.com on Matrix
-- Stay In Touch --
Find all the resources for this show on the Ask Noah Dashboard
Need more help than a radio show can offer? Altispeed provides commercial IT services and they’re excited to offer you a great deal for listening to the Ask Noah Show. Call today and ask about the discount for listeners of the Ask Noah Show!
live [at] asknoahshow.com
-- Twitter --Support Ask Noah Show