Do you work in open source? Do you sell open source? This week Noah and Steve dig into the objections they hear when they recommend free and open source solutions.
-- During The Show --
01:00 Steve's House
06:55 Grub2 and LUKS Feedback - Ninja Tech
07:51 Email Servers - Veritanuda
- Using a hosted email provider through your own email server
- Mail provider still has the email
- Encryption provides privacy
16:05 Cinnamon Feedback - aplatypus
- Cinnamon might be closest to MS Windows
18:22 Smart Switches - Andy
- SmartBridge Pro Hub Model L-BDGPR02
- Home Assistant Lutron Caseta Integration
- GuruMitts PyLutron Script
- Does require Internet for setup
22:44 Used Server for Storage - Patryk
32:01 Unifi Switch Flex Mini - Roger
- Managed Switch for trouble shooting
- Old way is a HUB
33:06 Linux News Wire
34:42 Objections to Open Source
- Radio Station is using open source
- Dell XPS with Ubuntu
- Open Broadcast Studio (OBS)
- Magewell & IP Camera Capture
- Open IAS Score Board
- Companies looking to contribute upstream
- Big shift in the industry
- Push back #1 "If it's free it's not any good"
- Used as a base for enterprise offering
- Relate to other open source software they know
- Push back #2 "Who makes this software? What company owns it?"
- A group of companies fund development
- How many code commits and by who/how many people?
- Push back #3 "Industry Standard is X, I'm used to X and Y looks different"
- Watch out for auditors, put in forethought
- Cyber Insurance Questions
- "Use it for 30 Days"
- Push back #4 "Why do I care if I have the source code? I'm not a programmer"
- Other people can contribute
- You can directly interface with developers
- Push back #5 "Who supports this thing if you're not around"
- Lots of people out there
-- The Extra Credit Section --
For links to the articles and material referenced in this week's episode check out this week's page from our podcast dashboard!
Join us in our dedicated chatroom #GeekLab:linuxdelta.com on Matrix
-- Stay In Touch --
Find all the resources for this show on the Ask Noah Dashboard
Need more help than a radio show can offer? Altispeed provides commercial IT services and they’re excited to offer you a great deal for listening to the Ask Noah Show. Call today and ask about the discount for listeners of the Ask Noah Show!
live [at] asknoahshow.com
-- Twitter --Support Ask Noah Show