This week Home Assistant accidentally takes over Noah's house, and Micah Pendleton returns to dig into specifics about professional video production on Linux.
-- During The Show --
00:58 Steve's Luddite Week
- Amazon return with no phone
- Society is going to requiring phones
05:00 VLANs - Norm
- Steve's VLANs
- 10 Admin
- 20 Guest
- 30 Production/Servers
- 40 Critical
- VPN back in
- Write back in!
07:00 Gary from Grand Forks
- Home Assistant news broadcast plugin
- Firefox video popout
12:00 X1 Carbon Issues - JJ4884
- Set "Linux option" in UEFI
- Noah's is 6th Gen X1 Carbon
14:00 News Wire
Asahi Linux's Flagshiop Distro - ARS Technica
Rhino Linux 1.0 - Rhino Linux
Zorin OS 16.3 - ZDnet
Nitrix 2.9.1 - nxos.org
CBL-Mariner 2.0 - Phoronix
Vulkan Driver Merged - Gaming On Linux
CORE-V MCU DevKit - CNX Software
Reptile Root Kit - The Hacker News
IBM & NASA AI Model - News Room IBM
15:28 Noah's HASSIO Adventure
- Automate around something
- Home Controller (Home Assistant)
- X10 horrible experience
- Lutron RadioRA System
- behind training course
- learned other things during the course
- Home Assistant accidentally promoted to production
- Upgrading HASSIO extremely smooth
- Rebuilt light scenes in Home Assistant
- What is the best "dimmer"?
- What is the best way to run Home Assistant?
- In a VM
- In wall screens?
- No mics or camera's
- 5" Low res touch screen
- Pi's, Nucs, POE Hat?
- Best LED Controller
- Depends on the desired protocol
- Tasmota vs ESPHome?
- ESP32 vs ESP8266 vs others like RP2040?
30:15 Special Guest Micah Pendleton
- How would you build Caution Glass Studio differently?
- What Distro did you standardize on?
- How would you capture live video?
- ATEM Mini
- STI and HDMI capture
- HDMI outdoors is a nightmare
- Not all STI camera's are the same
- HDMI to STI converter
- Inkscape replaces Adobe Illustrator
- Best Camera under $500
- Go used
- Sony A6400
- No reason to upgrade today
- Best Camera under $1000
- Still consider used
- Black Magic Pocket 4K
- Shoots Braw (Black Magic Raw)
- Great lens mount
- Best Camera under $10,000
- Black Magic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2
- Original Ursa Mini doesn't support BRAW
- What doesn't work well under Linux
- Awareness is the problem
- DaVinci Resolve issues
- What specs do you look for?
- Asus TUF Book
- Dedicated GPU
-- The Extra Credit Section --
For links to the articles and material referenced in this week's episode check out this week's page from our podcast dashboard!
Join us in our dedicated chatroom #GeekLab:linuxdelta.com on Matrix
-- Stay In Touch --
Find all the resources for this show on the Ask Noah Dashboard
Need more help than a radio show can offer? Altispeed provides commercial IT services and they’re excited to offer you a great deal for listening to the Ask Noah Show. Call today and ask about the discount for listeners of the Ask Noah Show!
live [at] asknoahshow.com
-- Twitter --Support Ask Noah Show