Fedora 33 is out! We take Fedora for a test drive. There's a new project on the block that aims to make Containers easy to use for everyone! XDA has partnered to bring a new phone, the Pro1-X and shipping with Ubunut AND Linage, you're choice, and some messengers are leaking your link previews!
-- The Extra Credit Section --
For links to the articles and material referenced in this week's episode check out this week's page from our podcast dashboard!
Join us in our dedicated chatroom #AskNoahShow on Freenode!
-- Stay In Touch --
Find all the resources for this show on the Ask Noah Dashboard
Need more help than a radio show can offer? Altispeed provides commercial IT services and they’re excited to offer you a great deal for listening to the Ask Noah Show. Call today and ask about the discount for listeners of the Ask Noah Show!
live [at] asknoahshow.com
-- Twitter --Support Ask Noah Show
- Application startup timing script
- Snap speed improvements with new compression algorithm! | Ubuntu — The results in the table are average values over multiple runs. The standard deviation is ~0.7 seconds for the cold startups, and ~0.1 seconds for the hot startups. The use of the LZO compression offers 40-74% cold startup improvements over the XZ compression. On the Kubuntu 18.04 system, which still has Chromium available as a DEB package, the LZO-compressed snap now offers near-identical startup performance! On Fedora 32 Workstation, the LZO-compressed snap cold startup is faster than the RPM package by a rather respectable 33% (actual ~5.0 seconds difference). Hot startups are largely independent of the packaging format selection.
- Pro1 X Smartphone Functionality, Choice & Control | Indiegogo
- Link Previews: How a Simple Feature Can Have Privacy and Security Risks | Mysk
- Study shows which messengers leak your data, drain your battery, and more | Ars Technica — The researchers behind Monday’s report, Talal Haj Bakry and Tommy Mysk, found that Facebook Messenger and Instagram were the worst offenders. As the chart below shows, both apps download and copy a linked file in its entirety—even if it’s gigabytes in size. Again, this may be a concern if the file is something the users want to keep private.
- Amazon.com: Vonets VAP11G-300 Wireless Portable WiFi Repeater/Bridge/AP Modes, Pocket Design 300mbps Multi-Functional AP Signal Booster, Plug & Play High Power WiFi Hotspot Extender Amplifier, USB Powered: Computers & Accessories